Thursday 15 December 2011

A day like yesterday


“Goodmorning sir”!! said the pretty front desk lady when I entered office. Thinking about how I could have avoided a stupid argument with Nirmala last night. Annual school event is an annual affair for God’s sake. (Yeah, comes every year) But my boss would not invite me every day to address the Australian delegates who flew the same day incidentally. “Prashant, he said. “This day is a crucial one for you. (Like he said day before yesterday didn’t he?) One that will decide which department you will spearhead next year”. After all, the Australian clients have been our company’s bread and butter since the time I remember in the firm.

As far as Shantanu’s first stage performance is concerned, well, umm ok, I will present him his dream Guitar, on his birthday next year. He will be 10 and he needs a professional Guitar I know. What was the name of that damn Guitar?? (Well, he said he wanted The Gibson’s professional

(Do you love your child?) What? Of course I love him! No questions. He was just sleeping before I took the morning flight to Hyderabad for the conference. Uh he knows my wishes are always with him, he doesn’t need me to say “All the best” now. There will be many more performances on which I will be there to encourage and cheer. Nirmala wastes my time picking up on me. God knows when she would understand that there are bigger and more important things that I need to take care of. Yeah yeah, housewives, someone tell them there is a whole world beyond the kitchen and the supermarket!

Last birthday I took her to Hong Kong for a lavish second honeymoon. And how did I manage that? I had worked night and day on the new shipping opportunity in 2010, got a massive yearly bonus and a promotion. Ah, reminds me next week our wedding anniversary. I had forgotten it completely last year and she hadn’t said a word. Yeah, because she was busy with Shantanu’s classes and his practical exams at the Music Centre. But not this time! Let me order something for her on Amazon. Guess, a new black dress this time. (You gave her a black dress on her birthday too!)

Get back get back, lots to do on this new project. I have a lot of responsibility. What is this on my calendar? Oh damn, another onsite next week. I may miss the wedding anniversary I guess. Umm no problem, I’ll order the dress right away. “Ramu, where is my coffee?” Office boys I tell you, sheer lazy bunch of idiots. “Sir, the coffee machine is non functional today”. “My foot! So can’t you make it in the kitchen instead? You worm! Now go and get it fast. You know my mind can’t work without a coffee in the morning.”

(Work)

It’s 11 ‘o clock. Shantanu must have slept today also by now. (Been 3 days you spoke to him. You might want to ask how his performance went may be?) (Sigh) No point leaving this file in the middle and getting back. Let me just finish this last bit of reading for the next week’s onsite.

(1 hour later in the car)

Driver, “Saab, aaj phir late ho gaye! Madam ka phone aaya tha batane ke liye ki aaj Mataji ki tabiyat thodi kharab hai. Aapka phone switched off tha.” You drive the car you fool that’s what I pay you for”! Ohho, mom’s ill every day. This doctor isn’t doing his job well. (Yeah no one, except you)


What is wrong with the air today. Doesn’t seem fresh! Huh huh (Suddenly breathless) Huh Huh. “Driver, I think you need to stop the car”. “Kya hua saab” stopped. Huh huh, (Hand on the chest) “Paseena aa raha hai.” Huh huh huh. Where did I keep my pain killers. Nirmala you’re an idiot. Huh Huh.. what, water, driver. Wait, is it my birthday today?? 

(Passes out)

No comments:

Post a Comment